LiDAR – The Digital Survey Technology
AREA OF EXPERTISE
PME Power Solutions, one of the fastest growing EPC company's, has acquired the laser scanning capability of LiDAR, the world leader in digital survey technology. We now offer our clients the services of conducting LiDAR surveys and using the data in the most sophisticated utility applications to provide advanced solutions and predictive models for use in Project Land Surveys. industrial power distribution networks. We undertake the renovation and augmentation of existing distribution systems through a review of the operational requirements leading to the design, re-engineering and implementation of best practices for minimizing losses and making more efficient usage of electrical energy.
LiDAR's systems offer survey accuracy, ground verification and validation, calibration, aerial mapping, remote sensing, laser survey, topographic maps and mapping, creation of DTM (digital terrain model) / DGM (digital ground model), DEM (digital elevation model) / DSM (digital surface model), DTM accuracy checking, altimetry, bathymetry, INS (inertial navigation systems), and GPS ground control. These can be used for :
• Project formulation for rural electrification with the objective to ensure linkage with irrigation & development of cottage industry with complete cost benefit analysis.? Pipeline, transmission line or highway & railway corridor surveys
• Urban environments - lidar data is often used for Telecommunications planning work
• Flood plain surveys - coastal or river, DEM's created from LiDAR can be used to model flooding events
• Forestry (mapping of tree canopies)
• Archaeology, ability to penetrate tree canopies and vegetation even in densely foliated areas
• Seismic exploration - slope maps
• Coastal zone surveys - accessing inter-tidal zone, or difficult access areas. Providing data for erosion, sediment transport and sea defense studies
• Oil and Gas - infrastructure development planning and design (roads, pipelines, plant, well site)
Our Services utilizes LiDAR data to create an "As-Built" model of the transmission line conductors, structures, terrain, and aerial obstacles in PLS-CADD file formats. With the help of client supplied information, these models are created to match your existing line records. Using accurate LiDAR data is the only true way to do complete line verification of "As-Built" conditions.
Why choose PME Services to model your transmission lines?
• We are experts in PLS-CADD & other transmission modelling programs
• We continually push the software limits, forcing constant development which benefits the entire industry
• We are constantly researching new technologies to benefit transmission line modelling using LiDAR data
- A lattice steel tower modelled in PLS-CADD with a LiDAR points
- A PLS-CADD simulation of an extreme wind causing the conductor blowout and insulator swing
- A PLS-POLE as-built model matches the surveyed LiDAR points
- A Transmission Line Model shown with a TIN rendering
- A Transmission Line Model with Imagery Draped on the TIN
- An as-built transmission line zigzagging throughout a mountainous countryside
- Using PLS-POLE and PLS-CADD, this structure shows overloaded components during an extreme weather condition
Assessing Transmission Line Capacity
Once the Model of the transmission line is constructed, WIRE Services is able to simulate any operating condition by raising the temperature of the wire to determine the maximum thermal rating of the conductor. This analysis is performed by our experienced, in-house engineers who are familiar with countless industry codes. This service allows the utility to determine if there are clearance issues to ground features or aerial obstacles. All clearance violations are presented to the client in any format.
- A thermal rating marker shown in a 3D view
- A thermal rating violation at a road crossing
There are many innovative and cost-effective methods available to upgrade transmission lines. Based on our extensive utility experience, we can help you find the best upgrade option to mitigate the thermal rating issues affecting your transmission line.
Below are some of methods :
• Structure Replacements
• Tower Extensions
Based on the results of the Thermal Rating Analysis, we can recommend which upgrade method, or combination of upgrade methods, would be best suited for a particular line. We conduct feasibility, cost-benefit analysis, as well as technical studies that to ensure the upgrade meets your needs (sag-tension, structural analysis, etc).
- Two workers are preparing to remove a small length of conductor (also known as a "Nip") out of this span
- W.I.R.E. Services will provide full structural analysis / design as shown here
- Workers are in the process of rebuilding this structure
- Workers are increasing the height of this structure by installing a Phase Raiser in each pole
- Workers are increasing the height of this structure by installing an extension in this tower
Vegetation Management - A Vegetation Free Right of Way
As a part of several environmental compliances, Transmission Owners must have a Vegetation Management Program to prevent transmission line contact with vegetation. Using LiDAR technology and PLS-CADD's Danger Tree algorithms, we can identify danger trees for grow-in conditions and simulated falling trees. Our services can overlay these danger tree locations on ortho-rectified images showing the exact trees which are hazardous to the transmission line. There are numerous benefits to implementing a Vegetation Management Program:
• Danger tree analysis can be more cost effective than clear cutting.
• All danger trees outside of the ROW are identified. Clear cutting the
• Trees inside the ROW which do not pose a risk to the transmission line are not identified for removal.
• Removing only the danger trees is more environmentally friendly than clear cutting the ROW.
- A cross section view of transmission line conductors being blown into vegetation
- This Plan and Profile view clearly shows the vegetation which violates Falling Tree, Blowout and Hot Sag conditions
- This profile and cross section view shows vegetation growing between the conductors of this transmission line
TL Design Engineering - From Conception to Inception
Our knowledge and experience in using LiDAR technology, coupled with extensive utility experience in transmission line design, enables us to offer Transmission Line Design Engineering Services.
We have experienced staff in the design and construction of Transmission Lines. This experience includes EHV voltages, both AC and DC, using a variety of structure configurations and materials such as single and double circuit, wood poles, laminated wood poles, lattice steel and tubular poles. Located in the Province of Manitoba, our staff also has the experience of designing a transmission line in difficult terrain and remote locations.
Whether it's a 1km tap or a 100km new design project, we have strong working relationships with LiDAR collectors & the experienced staff to engineer it.
Our Design Engineering Services include:
• New Route Selection
• Structure Family Selection Studies
• Conductor Selection Studies
• Optimized Structure Spotting
• PLS-CADD Line Modelling
• Construction Ready Drawings
• Bill of Materials
- A deformed geometry view of this deadend structure showing its buckling strength
- A PLS-POLE model showing the vertical spacing between components
- A virtual 3D view of a new transmission line design
We provide LiDAR surveys and analysis services for the mapping of power lines, railway corridors and pipeline routes. Our LiDAR surveys offer many advantages, the data is collected rapidly and can be used for many applications including: vegetation management, route planning, thermal uprating and identifying infringements. We also own a ground based laser scanner which can be deployed to scan features such as power line transmission towers in higher resolution for the creation of accurate 3D models.
Identifying and resolving clearance issues enables efficient asset utilization and enhanced safety. We also record weather data so that temperature, wind speed etc. can be taken into account in PLS-CADD when modelling the towers and cables.
- Pipeline and powerline corridor survey
- Line routing and design - we provide surveying services for new and existing lines. This point cloud has been classified (or layered) and is ready for import into PLS CADD for infringement analysis.
- Digital Elevation Model with aerial image overlay and PLS-CADD™ tower models.